Thursday, August 6, 2020

Lawhead and Langdon: Match Made in (Book) Heaven


ByzantiumByzantium by Stephen R. Lawhead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Stephen Lawhead does his best work when he writes a series of books, but if I had to choose one book that displays all his talents, this stand alone novel would be the one. It's also the first one that got him noticed on a worldwide scale, has been translated into several languages, and has never been out of print. If I were to introduce Lawhead to a person and could do it with only one book it would be Byzantium. And once you've read just one of his books, you are a hardcore fan (a Lawheadian) and go out to buy his complete catalog. He's that good.


UPDATE:
I just finished for the first time Byzantium as an audiobook. Read by Stuart Langdon. Fortunately, Mr. Langdon understands the difference between Narrating a book and Performing a book. He also understands the gem of a book that he was reading and truly warmed to the task. This book takes more than 25 hours to be read. SO worth the time!

However, an audiobook is not quite the same or as good as the real thing. It helped tremendously that I've read Byzantium many times on my own because there are several terms, place names, and historical references that might be overlooked without the words in front of you. But for me, it was pure enjoyment and just reaffirmed while I still call Stephen Lawhead my favorite author more than twenty years after discovering him.

"All hail Jarl Lawhead, King of Wordsmiths!" (I still don't know if I need quotation marks if I am quoting myself!)

Thanks for reading my review. Now, go reward yourself by reading something -anything- by Stephen Lawhead.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment