Tuesday, August 18, 2020

A Dystopian Hour (Graphic Novel Review)

 

ApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End TimesApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End Times by Andrew MacLean
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm still pretty new to Graphic Novels as a genre. I remember when they were called "Comic Books" and you usually read them over and over, while laying on your stomach on the floor with a snack in one hand as you slowly browsed the various pictures. It was supposed to be something to do to relax and enjoy yourself. So I still approach each Graphic Novel with that same "la-dee-da" attitude and ready to quietly meander wherever the story and pictures take me.

With that in mind, I was also not expecting great literature or an on the edge of my seat thrill-ride. Which is good, because I didn't get either of those things with ApocalyptiGirl. What I did get was an interesting, all be it run of the mill, dystopian story with a likable main character ... and her cat.

Aria is a young woman on earth with the assignment to seek out any unknown transmissions and a hidden power source, while trying to survive two warring factions, and the occasional attack of cannibals and mutant dogs. In between her searching and kicking serious butt, Aria wanders through her everyday life making the most out of her isolation as the only normal human being left on earth.

I found it a satisfying action story with a few funny moments and a few poignant moments added. Aria ponders some weightier issues but not for long because the action keeps at a pretty steady pace. The illustrations are not complex, but still hold some interesting details that you don't want to miss. So don't flip through them too quickly. But it's her interaction with her cat, Jellybean, that is definitely the high point of this read. And I personally enjoyed all the different creative words used to identify sounds. Like "skritch, skritch" to depict Aria scratching Jellybean's head.

Although it has many violent fight scenes, they aren't illustrated too graphically. And with only mild profanity (hell) and no sexual content at all, I would say it's okay for pre-teens and above.
It's not a very long book, so if you're looking for an interesting Graphic Novel with a strong and capable young woman as the protagonist, ApocalyptiGirl is a good way to spend a relaxing hour. May I personally recommend you get yourself a package of Strawberry Twizzlers licorice as the corresponding munchie of choice?

Thanks for reading another one of my reviews.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee 

P.S. Note that the book cover depicted here is not the actual one and does not reflect the book's illustrations. It must be a throwback to a previous version.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment