Saturday, August 15, 2020

Hit by The Governess

 

The Governess of Penwythe HallThe Governess of Penwythe Hall by Sarah E. Ladd
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you are familiar with my reviews I'm sure you know by now that Romance is NOT one of my favorite genres. Even/especially Christian romance novels which I find repetitive and pappy. But I'm glad to say this one is a cut above the rest.

The Governess of Penwythe Hall is a fictional, historical, stand-alone, romance novel with a Christian foundation. It starts with a widowed governess who accompanies her five charges to their new home at Penwythe Hall after they are orphaned and must go to live with their uncle. It proceeds as the usual book of this nature does. There is a time of adjustment, various enigmatic characters are introduced as well as a hidden past and a big mystery hinted at and "unspoken passions" constantly referred to. Same old, same old. (sigh)

However, I got my copy of this popular book from my library so I had to initially wait weeks for it, couldn't renew it immediately, had to wait weeks for it again, had to give it back, and then decided to switch to the audiobook format in order to finish it. I was surprised to see myself so determined to complete something that was "same old, same old". But the characters are what make this journey worthwhile. More complex than one would usually find in a book of this nature, I found myself continually drawn to them even if not finding the story itself anything unique. But in the final chapters, there were some events that were rather thrilling and unexpected and family relationships (apart from the main " Romance") that were complex and rang very true to life.

As far as the Christian elements, they are mostly in the periphery and merely hinted at as our main characters ponder human nature, how to deal with their pasts, and conquer their fears. That is until we are led to the deathbed of one of the "periphery" characters who hits us with God's truth right between the eyes, into our brains, and then planted into our hearts. So much so that I found myself reaching for something to wipe my eyes with. Yes. I admit I cried. Though not very willingly.

But I am happy to say my "standing" in the Holds lineup was worth my wait, the book worth my time, and the Governess of Penwythe Hall worth my recommendation.

Without any profanity or graphic sex and only some mild violence (some shoving, a few punches, and gunshots ringing out) it is appropriate for preteens as well as sensitive readers.

May I also add that the audiobook format was well done by English lady, Jude Mason. She read it with a good amount of emotion without being melodramatic and varied the voices and accents without overdoing it. There is a fine line between narrating a book and performing it. One enhances while the other upstages.

Thank you for reading my review. I hope it was helpful.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment