Thursday, July 2, 2020

Journey Deep into Early American History (Book Review)

Little House in the Big WoodsLittle House in the Big Woods by Wilder Laura Ingalls
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I just read this book for the umpteenth time, but for my first time as an ebook. Also, it's been about a decade since my last time around, so I'm seeing it from a fresh perspective (again) as I continue to age. I forgot how truly wonderful this book is. Like a window into history as we get to witness the earliest foundations of the Ingalls family which is now embedded into our culture.

It's the first book by Laura Ingalls Wilder and it is obvious that it is written for children. More so than any of the books that follow. It even reflects how children think in things like how it will abruptly change a topic or make a comment that only a small child would make. Yet, simultaneously, the author makes her own social criticisms and commentary that only an adult would pick up on.

But what is truly fascinating is the amount of detail that is put into describing how things were done back then. From Pa making his own bullets and loading the gun, to how a threshing machine works. From Ma's perspective we learn how to make preserves, churn butter, make cheese, weave straw hats, butcher a pig, smoke various types of meat, create maple syrup, and a myriad of other things needed to get prepared for an isolated winter in the "big woods".

It's a short read but such an enjoyable one that I would recommend it to anyone. Especially if you love history. And, if you're a REAL man and don't care what others think about you if they discover you reading this book, there is lots to learn about what it took to take care of your family in those difficult times in early America. Hunting, fishing, and farming in the "olden days" was certainly no easy task and I can't think of a better way for fathers to connect with their children than to read this book to them. Neither generation will be bored for sure. And immersing yourself for awhile in the attitudes, beliefs, and sensibilities of those times is as refreshing as a breath of Spring.

My only problem was that the ebook version I had messed up displaying the wonderful Garth Williams illustrations which have become iconic in themselves and synonymous with this series.

But I warn you. Just like potato chips, you will be unable to stop at just one and will want to continue with the rest of the series. But don't fret. These are not fattening or bad for your cholesterol. They will do your heart, mind, and spirit nothing but good. So munch away.

Thanks for reading my review.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment