Monday, July 20, 2020

Don't Tell Your Dog He's an Animal - Especially while he's driving.

The Dog Who Wouldn't BeThe Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I originally read this book many years ago when I got it from the library as a child. I had just got a dog so they were my favorite topic at the time. Also, the edition I checked out had a picture of a dog behind the steering wheel of a car on it. Nuf said? Well, this is me, so not yet.

This book by Canadian author, Farley Mowat, is taken from his own experiences with the family pet who thought he was a person. It's not a fantasy novel with talking animals, but rather an anecdotal, comic telling of the funny and odd things their dog did as a result of his belief. I won't give away any more than that except to say it is more an amusing book than laugh out loud. But if you have a pet that holds this similar belief, then I guarantee you will find yourself with a big grin on your face more than once as you relate to this true to life story.

Even though it revolves around children, it was written many years ago and Farley Mowat is not the average hyper-kindergarten teacher type of children's book author, so it will be appreciated by people of all ages. I gave this very popular author just an average rating because I've never been much of a Farley Mowat fan. I find his stories okay but personally hard to connect with his thought processes, writing style and vibe. But I am definitely in the minority. It's an enjoyable, clean read that one gets much more out of once you're an adult, for sure. I'm glad I stumbled upon it again here at Goodreads in a list of "Wholesome Books to Read Out Loud to your Children".

This book is available at most libraries, so I encourage you to check out the book and the Goodreads list too. It's also a great find if you are a parent wishing to do something fun to connect with your kids.

Thanks for reading my review.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment