Thursday, July 9, 2020

A Hindered Journey to God's Wisdom

A Touch of His WisdomA Touch of His Wisdom by Charles F. Stanley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I love Charles Stanley's teaching which is evident by the fact I've been listening to him preach for more than twenty years. But I had trouble getting into this book and it has somehow missed the mark for me.

It's a devotional structured around the thirty-one chapters in the book of Proverbs in the Bible. Each section in this Large Print, paperback edition also includes a photograph taken by Dr. Stanley somewhere on his journeys. But the photographs are in black and white (though they were taken in color) and I didn't enjoy this endeavor as much as Dr. Stanley's other books.

I think the intention with this devotional is to make us pause to ponder, but I found it just broke my train of thought when it should have been helping me to focus it. It's as if I was riding a bus that was constantly stopping and starting and I eventually just wanted to say, "Let's just get there already!"
I have read many other devotionals that I do like, so it's not that format per se that is bothering me. And I found this one to be scripturally accurate and full of insight as I have Charles' other books. But this was edited/constructed by others and I was hindered from hearing Dr. Stanley's voice in my head, which is what usually occurs when his teaching flows unimpeded.

It's not the best effort from Charles Stanley and since he has so many other books to choose from, I suggest you do exactly that.

Thanks for reading this.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment