Monday, October 1, 2012

The Coming Out of "RED JOHN"






When you see a  magician who has a really great act, you wrack your brain trying to figure out how he does his tricks. You know there is deception and slight of hand going on, but even with that knowledge you are no closer to discovering the answer. But once the magician reveals to you the "magic" behind his tricks you think to yourself, "It's so obvious! How could I have NOT seen it".
Which brings me to the trickery of the TV show, "The Mentalist". 

I was originally attracted to "The Mentalist" because of it's great writing.  And after encountering literally hundreds of "Who-done-it's"  mysteries, there are precious few that I have not figured out well before the end of the story. But, in the case of "The Mentalist" there were often times I couldn't pinpoint the villain until he or she was revealed to the audience.

Anyone who has watched "The Mentalist" knows that the mystery that perseveres in the show from week to week is, "Who is Red John?". I have gone around the circle of characters and possibilities in my mind and eventually discarded each one. THEN, like a lightening bolt, after seeing a very slight clue, I knew who Red John was! I told a couple of my family members who I thought it was in order to test my "magician's theory" that once you knew a trick it became obvious to you.
Then, I went to "Mentalist" Forums and other places  the fans hang-out (a thing I had never done before) in order to see if anyone else was close to discovering who (or what) Red John is. I found nothing amongst the fans and, in the meanwhile, my family members had watched "The Mentalist" again and confirmed that this secret became obvious once it is known.



It's my understanding that 17,000,000 in North America watch this show each week. It's weird to be "in" on something that the majority of 17 million people haven't figure out yet.  It makes me feel giddy and slightly fearful. (I suppose it's because of my belief that "the more you know, the more will be expected of you")

Having figured out the "big secret" my respect for the writers has grown even greater, although one would assume it would be less since they could not trick me all the way to the end. But I see the way they keep certain plot "doors" open, so they don't write themselves into a corner and can still change certain things should the need arise. Plus, the usual wonderful way they include things like humor, great dialogue, an intricate mystery and the respect they give us in assuming we are intelligent viewers. Also, with the success of the show, the writers are guaranteed many more episodes before the show is cancelled and therefore they have the luxury of taking their time to include subtle clues and weekly hints to direct us to the identity of Red John (or MISdirect us to the identity of Red John).

 And practically speaking, it won't hurt when "The Mentalist' has been cancelled, everyone is looking for new jobs and they are trying to sell copies of "The Mentalist: the Complete Series".
 
 
 
 
As for me, it's nice to know that if I were to fall upon hard times, I can always blackmail the makers of the show for piles of cash simply to keep my mouth shut.  (Ahhhh! The beauty of free enterprise)

Do I hear any bids out there?

2 comments:

  1. Derren Brown scares me, I don't like looking into his eyes. You know who he is in Canada?

    Baby Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who Derren Brown is. In Canada we get lots of UK TV (much more than USA) but I don't think I know Derren Brown. If you tell me where he's from I might have heard of the TV Show. :-(

    ReplyDelete