Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Coming Out of "RED JOHN" Part 3 (PREDICTIONS)



Submarines have radar that allows them to identify other submarines, boats and creatures nearby in the water. However, if another submarine sneaks up from behind and follows them from close behind, they cannot be detected by the radar of the first sub. The propellers at the back of the first submarine blocks the noise made by the submarine behind. It’s called “hiding in the baffles”. But, because the submarine captains know that another ship might be in their baffles, they do a “crazy Ivan”. Without any warning, they suddenly turn their submarine sharply to the right or the left. Since the hiding submarine has no idea that the in front sub is going to turn, they get caught.

I remember watching an old movie about World War II. The Nazis had captured somebody and were going to torture them until they “gave up the information”. I remember telling those watching the movie with me, “I know how to trick the Nazis”. Everyone turned to see how my 8 year old mind had figured it out.

“I would talk and talk and talk. Then talk some more. Any question they asked me, I would make up an answer. That way, if I ever do spill out the truth, the Nazis wouldn’t know it. It will be hidden behind all the other junk I said. Plus, I wouldn’t be tortured either, because I would just keep giving in and blabbing.”
Everyone paused for a moment, then my Aunt said, “That’s so stupid, it’s actually quite smart.”  (I never have figure out whether she was complimenting me or criticizing me.)


What does all this have to do with “The Mentalist” or Red John?



A few weeks ago I said that I had figured out who Red John was, but that I have no intention of telling because I don’t want to ruin the surprise for anyone else. Many people think I’m just ‘blowing smoke’ and I can’t blame them. And I must admit that the writers of “The Mentalist” are keeping a lot of things very vague so that they can shuffle things around and don’t write themselves into a corner. But I’m sure they won’t change who (I think) they have picked as Red John, because it’s just that good an idea.

However, if I do know who Red John is, then I should be able to make some extremely accurate predictions on what will happen next on the show. (And, just like Patrick Jane, that doesn’t make me a psychic, it just shows that I’m paying attention)

First of all, keep in mind that “The Mentalist” is a massive hit show. This means that it is in very little danger of being cancelled any time soon. So the writers have a lot of time to play around with and weave their web.

For the next year (or maybe 2), it’s going to be  like me “blabbing to the Nazis”. You are going to hear and see everything and anything. It will be like a manic version of “spin the bottle”. The stories will go ‘round and ‘round and ‘round. (And you’ll have no idea who’s going to end up kissing whom)

The search for Red John’s identity will be brought closer to home. The CBI. We are going to be shown clues that point to Cho, Rigsby, Van Pelt and even little Lisbon as Red John or one of his minions. But mostly, they are going to point to Patrick Jane as Red John (or a Red John accomplice). There are going to be so many clues, you won’t know what hit you. But keep in mind, it is just a smoke screen. They have years to play with us (the audience) and play they will. But planted in all those false clues, you will find some real ones. There won’t be many (maybe only 2 or 3 in an entire season), but they will be important. You will have quite a job trying to sort  out truth from deception.

And these myriad of clues will pop out everywhere. Just when you think the plot is going in one direction, it will suddenly take a sharp turn in another direction. (Remember the “crazy Ivan”?) The writers will do this to see if we’re following them too closely.

But, trust me, we will get no where near an actual solution of who Red John is. They’ve got the time (years) and the vaguer they make it, the more people will stay interested. It will also create some job security for the writers.


 
I would suggest you just enjoy each episode for what it is. Each main character will get take their turn to be the center of a plot and they are going to really “go for it” and use the opportunity to flex their “acting chops” (especially so they have something to send in to the Television Academy when it’s time to apply for Emmy nominations).  Enjoy the relationships between the characters as they deepen (and ripen). Enjoy the great acting by the guest actors. Enjoy watching the suspects jump through Patrick Jane’s mental hoops. But most of all, revel in the great dialogue.

Patrick Jane
 
…on messing with peoples’ lives:

“We’re the law. We can do whatever we want.”

… on doctors:

“People prescribing pills they know little about, for diseases they know even less about, to people they know nothing about.”

… on a high school Principal illegally putting cameras in the washrooms:

“Pervy, Perve, Perve, Perve!”

There is one more prediction I’d like to make , although this is closer to a guess (and keep in mind that I haven’t seen all the episodes yet).



In regards to Agent Darcy, of the FBI, who believes that Jane is working for Red John. I believe there will be a romantic relationship between her and Patrick Jane and then she will be killed by Red John. I’m not sure “why” I think that. But we shall see if I’m right.

Stay tuned, my fellow ‘Mentalistas’.

And one more REMINDER. "The Mentalist" is about to celebrate it's 100th Episode in which there will be some "flash backs" to before the Pilot episode. That should prove both interesting and comical. You won't want to miss that so "Check Your Local Listings" as they say.

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who works (and did work) on "The Mentalist". Take a bow for a job well done.

Cast of "The Mentalist"
 
 

Robin and Simon at the 100th Episode Celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment