Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Narrator Builds Kingdom He Reads About (Review)

 

Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle, #4)Pendragon by Stephen R. Lawhead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I still plan on writing a review that encompasses the entire Pendragon series but I wanted to say this now. 




I've read this series several times but this is the first time listening to it in audiobook format. In this case, read by Frederick Davidson (aka. David Case). I have said that there is a fine line between narrating a book and performing it. The one enhances, the other upstages. I am now going to amend those words if not eat them all together. But I should be forgiven because I hadn't yet heard a book read by Frederick Davidson.

Davidson goes all the way! Voices, intensity, singing (even though somewhat tone-deaf). Whatever it takes, Fred does it. And he does it oh so well. In fact, I gave the extra fifth-star rating (which to me means perfection) to any of Lawhead's books Davidson has read - at least for the ones Stephen Lawhead hadn't already received from me on his own.

In looking for more books narrated by Frederick Davidson I discovered that he died in 2005, which has brought me great sadness even though I'd never even heard of him a few weeks ago. But after listening to his voice speak the words of my beloved author for close to a hundred hours I feel close to him. I knew he got "IT" and so it bonded us. But before I had but a moment to lament his passing I discovered he had recorded more than 700 books. What a legacy to leave behind!

Thank you, David, for doing more than your job required and for pouring out your talents into an ever-increasing dark world. I pray the Great Light has welcomed you wholeheartedly into His Kingdom of Summer, which you spoke of with such desire and reverence as to make it sacred and to help those of us dedicated to ushering it in and giving it life.


THE KINGDOM OF SUMMER (Fantasy)
"I have seen a land shining with goodness, where each man protects his brother's dignity as readily as his own, where war and want have ceased and all races live under the same law of love and honour.

I have seen a land bright with truth, where a man's word is his pledge and falsehood is banished, where children sleep safe in their mother's arms and never know fear or pain.

I have seen a land where kings extend their hands in justice rather than reach for the sword; where mercy, kindness, and compassion flow like deep water over the land, and men revere virtue, revere truth, revere beauty, above comfort, pleasure or selfish gain. A land where peace reigns on every hill, and love like a fire from every hearth; where the True God is worshipped and his ways acclaimed by all.”

- Quote from "Arthur" by Stephen R. Lawhead

Sincerely, Laura-Lee

View all my reviews



Frederick Davidson (aka. David Case)

REALITY

Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.  I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
Revelation 21:1-4






No comments:

Post a Comment