Saturday, November 5, 2011

Cowboys & Aliens: the Review

Sleepy smileSleepy smileAnnoyed   poster promo

 

Well, I finally got to see this movie that I raved about and looked so cool when it his the theatres several months ago. since I am homeless right now, I am staying in a hotel/motel where you can rent movies in your room. Some that are still in the movie theatres and so I was able to see, “Cowboys & Aliens” in the privacy of my own room.

With stars in it like Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford and Sam Rockwell, how can a person expect anything but a great movie. PLUS, one of my all time favourite actors was also in the movie, Clancy Brown. But none of those thing could save this movie.

There are sometime that I refer to a film that just can’t “get off the ground”. I suppose it comes from having a father who spent his life around airplanes. An airplane can have all that it apparently needs but when it comes times to actually leave the runway, it just doesn’t make it. That is this movie.

The story is there, but it drags on too long. The special effects are great but too many of them so that you notice them instead of them just enhancing the story. The actors are great but all the characters are arch typical that I imagine it would take a great amount of talent and a bit of a miracle to keep everything from being formulaic. And that is this movie in a word: Formulaic. It’s all been done and seen before.

You would at least think that by placing an alien invasion in the “old west” you would at least be able to get a different slant on it, but everyone is acting like spaceships dropping from the sky and kidnapping their loved ones with a massive grappling hook is something they see every day. Or at least once a year. Maybe we’ve all become desensitised with the idea of alien invasion but one would imagine that the people of the old west would be so shocked they would be unable to move for hours and probably soil themselves. Instead of what happened in this movie, they got themselves a posse to round up the aliens. I mean , these people don’t have telephones or internal combustion engines but a spaceship swooping through town doesn’t seem to phase then much.

I usually have a strict rule that I don’t judge anything without giving it a second watch but I’m begging you, DON’T MAKE ME WATCH THIS MOVIE AGAIN. I could barely stand it the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment